1/7/11

ARTIST - Marianne Nicolson




This artist was shown to me at work today, her name is Marianne Nicolson. She's a First Nations artist, and I think (as you will read in her bio if you click the link) "PHD candidate" means that she's working at getting her PHD at UVIC in Linguistics and Anthropology. She created this cliff painting in her home territory. Cliff paintings were common in my territory as well, but they often get destroyed due to weather oriented activities or sometimes even vandalism. My uncle once said that sometimes people come in and literally chip out the rock with the cliff painting on it and sell it to art dealers. Which is super lame, but I guess that means that nations should work at developing some form of legal policy to prevent jerks doing things like that.



http://qmackie.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/cliff-painting-by-marianne-nicolson/

No comments:

Post a Comment